Blogs and tutorials are full of helpful advice as to how women’s capsule wardrobes can be created easily using a few key pieces, but how about a capsule wardrobe for men? What are the key pieces you should have in your wardrobe to make it versatile, yet keep clutter to a minimum? Here’s our take on how to create a capsule wardrobe for men using 10 key pieces.
1. One good suit: A versatile colour, like grey means you can wear this suit to work, to a wedding, to a funeral or to an interview. Invest in it if it’s going to be your only one. You might need to visit a tailor to make sure it fits you perfectly but it’s well worth the extra effort.
2. One pair of jeans: Everyone should own a pair of jeans – and generally they’ll have more than one, but if you’re building a capsule wardrobe choose wisely. Don’t compromise on fit, colour or quality. Try on as many pairs as you need to in order to find ‘the one’.
3. One tailored white shirt: A good fitting white shirt can be worn to so many different events, and paired with both your suit and your jeans so it’s a capsule wardrobe must have.
4. One pair of neutral coloured chinos: These can be dressed up or down easily depending on our choice of top half and footwear. Choose a stone or pale grey colour for a relaxed look, or navy or black if you prefer darker colours on your bottom half.
5. One pair of black brogues: The go-to shoe for most occasions, we know that every man should have a decent pair of black calf leather brogues in his wardrobe. You can be spolit for choice from our range – why not check out the Barker Alfred timeless classic, or the Loake Stitch for simple yet understated style.
6. A few solid colour t-shirts: You can vary the cut and sleeve length here so that you add a bit of casual variety to your capsule wardrobe, however we would recommend that you stick to solid block colours and avoid any kind of patterns or slogans as these tend to date and look juvenile instead of the effortlessly stylish look the rest of your wardrobe is helping to create.
7. One dressy shirt: If you can co-ordinate colour and pattern in this to match with your suit, jeans and chinos, you can create three very different styles using just this one item, which is the aim of a well-executed capsule wardrobe. Find a colour that suits you and complements your unique skin and hair combination so that it’s money well spent.
8. Fitted jacket: A coat or jacket is normally a must have, no matter the season, so try a couple of different styles on until you find the one you love. For coats, it’s normally best to stick with dark solid colours or subtle patterns so that they don’t date too quickly.
9. One pair of smart trainers: Having a pair of casual shoes that aren’t gym trainers is an essential addition to your capsule wardrobe. Think boat shoes, leather trainers or leather loafers for something a little different.
10. Accessories: These vary by gent, so pick your preferred way to dress up an outfit, whether that’s with a hat, a pocket square, a pair of unique cufflinks, or a colourful belt. Try not to overdo it though, when it comes to accessories, less is more.