It’s all too easy to assume that you can re-use the contents of your winter wardrobe from last year, without actually checking to see if the contents still fit or are still in good condition. Winter wardrobe preparation now will save you a lot of unnecessary stress and last minute emergency purchases as we get into the cold weather for real, as you discover that the trusty woolly jumper you were depending on has actually shrunk 4 sizes in the last wash you did. Here are the 9 pieces you should have in your wardrobe to turn to, no matter what the weather is doing outside.
1. Leather boots: A sturdy pair of stylish leather boots will ensure you can handle whatever the weather may throw at you, and with so many versatile styles available you can easily style these up or down for work or casual attire.
2. Pea Coat: A well cut pea coat will be your go-to outerwear for the entire season, matching just as well with a suit and trousers as it does with jeans and boots. Stick with a neutral grey colour which will match with everything if you don’t want to make more than one purchase, and a subtle herringbone pattern in the fabric instead of a plain solid colour will add an extra element of style without looking like you’re trying too hard.
3. Thick socks: Cold toes are nothing to laugh at, but thankfully they are easily avoided with a thick pair of woollen socks. Merino wool socks help to regulate your body temperature, so they can keep your feet warm when it’s cold outside and cool you down when it gets warm. These Pantherella Quakers socks are a colourful and practical addition to your footwear collection.
4. Coloured Scarf: If you’re going to stick with a neutral coloured coat this winter make sure you accessorise with a colourful scarf to set yourself apart from the masses. Take a look at the high street for inspiration – the shops are brimming with ideas at the moment, so you’ll be spoilt for choice.
5. Heavy denim jeans: Jeans can be worn all year long but in the winter it makes good fashion sense to invest in a quality pair of dark denim jeans. Make sure to try them on with boots before you buy so that you can check if they sit properly over your footwear.
6. Thin knit jumper: Layers are the way to keep warm in the winter, and whilst thick woolly jumpers might have a novelty value attached to them, thin knit woollen jumpers look so much better and will complement your physique more. A flattering colour will depend on your skin tone, so shop around to find the best one for you.
7. Stylish satchel: A bag has many practical uses, especially in the winter when you might need it to store extra layers as you warm up and take them off during the day. We love this Kingston satchel, and as it’s a tan leather it will go with everything, making it a very versatile investment in your wardrobe for this season and beyond.
8. Tweed cap: Winter is the time for hats, and luckily we have just the thing – a traditional tweed flat cap. Very trendy, very stylish and oh so handy for keeping that winter chill at bay. Check out our full range of tweed caps and find your new favourite.
9. Gloves: Cold hands need thick gloves, and with our sheepskin lined leather gloves you’ll never feel the chill again. Keep these with your coat so you never leave home without them.